Anyone like buliding cars/ hotrods/ ratrods?

Metal, Wood, ... the heavy stuff can be found here
liquidhandwash

Anyone like buliding cars/ hotrods/ ratrods?

Post by liquidhandwash »

Im buliding an old hilux, just found a 4AGE engine in a barn! let me know if you would like to know more, or share your project.
Orngrimm
Site Admin

Re: Anyone like buliding cars/ hotrods/ ratrods?

Post by Orngrimm »

The second image is a piece of art in itself! :) :)
Builder of stuff, creator of things, inventor of many and master of none.
Tinkerer by heart, archer by choice and electronics engineer by trade.
Downunder35m

Post by Downunder35m »

I used to restore classic Beatles before I came to Australia.
Nothing really serious, started out as helping mates who had no welding and mechanical skills.
But what started out as rebuilding and modifying engines turned into rather compley body works and allowed me to to bring back some really noce car back to new glory.
I still wish to get my hands on some old Beetle one day and to be able to afford a full restauration, even if it just for nostalgic reasons.
I know you are up for some good hours "wasted" on some old junk but once done there is just nothing that can beat that feeling of accomplishment and knowing you rescued something old to last for a few decades more.

Not sure about our still few members but I would like to keep updated on this.
Exploring the works of the old inventors, mixng them up with a modern touch.
To tinker and create means to be alive.
Bringing the long lost back means history comes alive again.
Orngrimm
Site Admin

Post by Orngrimm »

i also would love to hear updates.
mechanics still elude me a bit, but i find it fascinating :)
liquidhandwash

Post by liquidhandwash »

I put an instructable up a few months ago, I haven't done that much more to it since just put a different set of seats in, and started collecting parts for an engine conversion. Always loved the 4AGE engine, finally found one. it needs some TLC as its got a broken crankshaft, but the rest looks to be in good condition, just need a crank, flywheel, conrod, clutch, exhaust manifold and distributor.
https://www.instructables.com/id/Rat-Rod-Rescue/
Orngrimm
Site Admin

Post by Orngrimm »

As a total noob in this cathegory: Are such things as crankshafts somewhat standardised? Like you could take another crankshaft from a similar engine but not quite the exact model and submodel?
liquidhandwash

Post by liquidhandwash »

i think i may have found all the parts I need, I will find out on saturday.
Downunder35m

Post by Downunder35m »

Every time I said that and started I had to realise that there is still things missing LOL
Best of luck!
Exploring the works of the old inventors, mixng them up with a modern touch.
To tinker and create means to be alive.
Bringing the long lost back means history comes alive again.
liquidhandwash

Post by liquidhandwash »

Got most of the parts on saturday, just cost me a bottle of whiskey, manged to get 2 crankshafts, 3 conrods and a flywheel. so plenty of spares. only problem is the flywheel is some crazy racing flywheel with no name, I pretty sure it is to fit a multiplate clutch, so im probably going to have to look for another flywheel, as the OEM clutch won't fit. I also found a distribtor from 4ac engine was a very close match but required a bit of modifcation to get to fit. Also have to find an exhaust manifold. Does anyone else have issues with the spell check not working on this forum?
liquidhandwash

Post by liquidhandwash »

Had a bit of bad luck of late my first day back at work for months because of the COVID lockdown, and my car stops, and I had to get a tow home. The car is a 406 peugeot well maintained and running on bio diesel and the fault presented as a cam belt failure. Which should not of happemd as the belt and pulleys water pump etc were all replaced 30,000 kms ago. I pulled the covers off and found that the belt and pulleys all looked in good contition and the belt was correctly tensioned but had jumped a number of teeth. I stripped the belt off and found a big chunk of rubber floating around inside, and realised what had happend. The front pulley/ harmonic balancer had failed and the rubber insert had got pulled into the cambelt causing it to jump teeth. That was not the end of the matter it cause all 12 valves to smash into the pistons and smash all of the rocker arms. which isn't a big deal as long as the vavles arnt bent.. but murphes law.... this particular model has the rare 12 valve diesel engine, which has an unusual intake manifold turbo set up, so to get the rocker box off to replace the arms, the engine has to come out. On a peugeot that means taking the whole front end of the car off..
All for a $40 front pulley that should never of failed , Ive never heard of one destroying the engine like that.. what a way to start work.