Instructables contest - be aware of the risks if not from the USA !

Want just to talk with no particular topic found here? Hang out with the others, have a glass of virtual lemonade and enjoy the time
Downunder35m

Instructables contest - be aware of the risks if not from the USA !

Post by Downunder35m »

Instructables stopped shipping real prices with the pandemic, fair is fair it seems despit all sorts of things still being shipped.
But postage costs outside US territory can be extreme, same for imoprt duties a winner might have to pay.

Solution was to use gift cards now.
Not a big deal for most people but they have their draw backs.
Amazon example still does not really ship and operate in all countries but at least the acceptance rate is quite high.
But there is other cards used as well, like the dreaded Tango card.

If you do enter a contest you often do so in the hope of winning something.
Just be aware of the rules and read the terms and conditions of a contest carefully before entering!
To my knowledge Autodesk does not budge when it comes to what oan how a winner gets things.
If you get a Tango Card you might as well write the price money off.
Very limited acceptance rate, many (unlisted) items excluded from buying them with it and a total hassle when you need help from the support.
The lifespan of these cards is often less than one month before they expire and the money is lost to you.

An no we can't really always blame Instructables for the hassles as the gift cards from sponsored contests are provided by the sponsor....
Exploring the works of the old inventors, mixng them up with a modern touch.
To tinker and create means to be alive.
Bringing the long lost back means history comes alive again.
liquidhandwash

Re: Instructables contest - be aware of the risks if not from the USA !

Post by liquidhandwash »

What the what now? Ive got $1000 worth from instructables, havnt used them yet, Ill be pissed if I cant use them
Downunder35m

Post by Downunder35m »

Check who issued them, if Amazon you should be fine for a few months, if Tango you better double check on the terms and expiry.
I only looked it up when I found Tango listed in a contest.
I got one of them about a year ago and was only having troubles, in the end I lost the remaining 80 bucks on it due to the unresponsive support.
You find lots of great revies about Tango cards, just none from real users, if you check those it looks more like a scam than a gift card system.
Orngrimm
Site Admin

Post by Orngrimm »

*sight* neither Tango nor Amazon operate in Switzerland.
Contests are dead for me....
Builder of stuff, creator of things, inventor of many and master of none.
Tinkerer by heart, archer by choice and electronics engineer by trade.
liquidhandwash

Post by liquidhandwash »

They are tango card with no expirery date, I was saving them for a trip to NZ but thats not going to happen anytime soon, stupid covid.
Downunder35m

Post by Downunder35m »

You are lucky then indeed, but did you check the terms and conditions for your cards properly?
I hope they changed their habits but in many cases the "will not expire" clause is valid from issuing the card to first use ;)
However: This seems the case only for low value cards under $100US in value.
What you do need to check and I could not find a definite list back then, is WHAT is actually supported in terms of what you pay with it.
For example: I oredered some fancy Scotch Whiskey for a friend with the card only to find out AFTER I entered the card details that it can't be used for alcohol purchases.
And in "supporting" supermarkets people complained that there as well certain things are not accepted - but that is from the supermarket, not the Tango card.
Like certain coles stores simply refuse to let you pay with gift cards or similar that are not registered in your name - which excludes basically all cards they don't sell themself.

Not sure if AU and NZ has this but in other places you find stores where you can cash out gift cards.
The usual 10-12% rip off you see from cash converters but a nice way to make use of remaining money on a card or to have cash in places that are "less civilised" and have no options to accept gift cards or cash cards.
But don't we get a travel bubble soon? ;)
I mean, what could possibly go wrong if you travel by plane with lots f other people..... LOL
liquidhandwash

Post by liquidhandwash »

I just used some of the tango card balance to get an amazon gift card which worked well and no expiry date. Amazon.au hasn't got much of a range but bought the misses a Christmas present so that's something. It looks like im limited to trading the tango card balance for gift card, but there is only a handfull to choose from, the "trip gift" card is " out of stock" which you can pay for hotels, flights and retal cars, which is the only card that had any appeal to me. The other cards are for clothing stores, which we dont have in my location, or crap like Itunes, PlayStation store or coles which you said was a problem. I find it amusing that a gift card has to be regitsed in your name, coles clearly dont know what a "gift" is. Or prehaps they do, its a gift to Coles.
I would of really liked a paypal, or ebay card....