Looking for a bathtub & shower faucet with separate temperature lever Topic is solved

All around the house, garage, basement and garden. Renovations, hacks, refurbishments and all other things that may come in handy at home
Callistemon

Looking for a bathtub & shower faucet with separate temperature lever

Post by Callistemon »

I have been trying to find a new bathtub & shower faucet that has separate levers for volume and temperature. There is absolutely no name for this type of faucet, so it is difficult to consider every option. It is not the single-handle faucets that need to be raged to warm, and is not the two-handle faucets with separate volume levers for hot and cold, but a faucet with separate handles for total volume and temperature.

I know Delta Faucet offers many of these, but I really want to know what other brands offer this style of faucet. I strongly prefer finishes containing copper, such as Polished Brass or Champagne Bronze, so that the faucet stays cleaner. I also would strongly prefer a faucet that is Made in USA, because heavy fuel oil used by ships pollutes 2,000 times more sulfur dioxide than diesel and is 50 times more toxic than crude oil when spilled. It would also be nice if the flow from the spigot was smoother.

If possible, I want to install check valves immediately above and below the rough-in valve to prevent the water from draining and splattering out and air filling in the pipes. The faucet also need to be able to run in shower mode at low flow rates without crapping off into fill mode so easily. Besides the faucets from Delta, the only other options I have seen use their TempAssure valve, are made in Taiwan, or is the American Standard faucet with the plastic cartridge that shatters when regularly adjusted.
Orngrimm
Site Admin

Re: Looking for a bathtub & shower faucet with separate temperature lever

Post by Orngrimm »

In europe, those are quite common... One lever. Left-right = Temperature. tilt = volume.
See attachment
One example: https://www.frankana.de/de/wasserarmatu ... #v_300_246

I googled "Single lever Water faucet" and got to which yielded a name: "Single-Control Faucet"
Back to google and "Single-Control Faucet" yields stuff like https://www.homedepot.com/b/Kitchen-Kit ... 0kZ1z11e3e
Assuming you are from the US that may be an option.

Googling "Single-Control Faucet Copper" yields some nice copper-versions...
Attachments
Example of different styles but the same function
Example of different styles but the same function
2020-09-03 11-40-17.jpg (67.79 KiB) Viewed 450 times
Builder of stuff, creator of things, inventor of many and master of none.
Tinkerer by heart, archer by choice and electronics engineer by trade.
Callistemon

Post by Callistemon »

Those are ball faucets. I am looking for this type of faucet
T17059-CZ_2000x.jpg
T17059-CZ_2000x.jpg (245.47 KiB) Viewed 439 times
Are there any other brands that offer this type of faucet besides Delta Faucet and American Standard?
Downunder35m

Post by Downunder35m »

Have you checked the German company Grohe?
They are a global leader for several decades now and have a lot in their program.
Even faucets with automatic temp control -det it and forget it....
Exploring the works of the old inventors, mixng them up with a modern touch.
To tinker and create means to be alive.
Bringing the long lost back means history comes alive again.
Orngrimm
Site Admin

Post by Orngrimm »

Oh... Never seen those here in europe... But the idea seems solid and good.
We either have the 2 regulators for hot/cold or a ball-faucet. But honestly, i dont see why the mixing/volume in separate levers shoudn't be available...

Found this one which does set the temperature (Controlled in that case) with one setting-knob and the volume with another setting-knob:
https://de.hudsonreed.com/mischbatterie ... sche-77889
Another one:
Or https://www.archiexpo.de/prod/ceadesign ... 71643.html
Or https://www.grohe.co.uk/en_gb/bathroom- ... litan.html

In general they are called "Verteiler Mischbatterie" in German.

So basically your requirements-List breaks down to:
  1. Volume dial separately
  2. Temperature regulation separately
  3. No faucet, only the regulator without spout
  4. Copper-containing finish
  5. Made in USA
  6. Not the ones from American Standard or Delta (Which would tick all the boxes above as far as i can see, but hey....)
Sorry, mate. With such highly-specific requirements, you are propably out of luckbecause propably always one req will be a NO...
Callistemon

Post by Callistemon »

It does not need to be Made in USA, but that would be preferable. The system would need a faucet/spout, but that can be a separate product. Whatever it is, it would be preferable for the flow to be smoother instead of choppy. There are maybe 6 options besides Delta (which is the prominent option), but none have the copper/brass/bronze finish. Thank you, and sorry if this is the wrong place to post this.

And actually, American Standard products are rarely made in USA.
Callistemon

Post by Callistemon »

Also, in the USA, the Uniform Plumbing Code prohibits shower faucet systems that are not either Pressure Balancing or Thermostatic (temperature balancing). That means ball faucets and separate hot/cold faucets are prohibited here. That's not something I am disappointed about, because ball faucets ruin the temperature when the volume is adjusted. Next they should ban rage-to-warm faucets that waste so much water just to be slightly warm. It would be great if volume/temperature faucets were the only one.
Last edited by Callistemon on Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Downunder35m

Post by Downunder35m »

That is quite interesting info you give here!
And it goes along with what I learned here in AU so far.
One of the things of must have things when I got here was a temp control for the shower.
And I couldn't find any of these nice and automatic ones I was used to from overseas.
So I asked a friend to send me one over so I could install it myself.
Needless to say it totally failed to work the way it should.
Constantly adjusting, taking an endless time to get the set temp, just frustrating so I reverted back to manual only.
Years later I found a working automatic (for the temp) mixer in a local showroom I managed to get the display one for half price when it was all replaced for new stuff.
Still was more than twice what a omparable european costs - but it seemed to work.
Had to leave it in the house when I moved again but that's a different, sad story...

Either way I started to investigate on why this mixer, made to AU standards, worked while the proven EU one did not.
Turns out there is two factors affecting the function and legal sides of them.
For starters here in AU, seemingly like in the US, there seems to be no need to actually seperate the hot water from the cold water.
Same input lines and all connected through the taps.
Any pressure differential can feed back into the hot water system the opposite way.
The design creates an open loop with the tap being the regulating element if there is a pressure difference.
Most homes won't have the hot water system connected with a biiger line and in almost all cases they are at the back of the house - at the furthest point for the wate lines.
You can try this by closing the feed valve for the hot water system and opening the pressure relief valve.
Block a faucet and open both hot and cold water taps- the hot water system will be pressurised from the backlow and it escapes through the open valve.

Double checked with a friend in Germany who is a plumber.
And indeed over there it is compulsory that the hot water is kept at mains pressure at all times and that there can't be ANY backflow possible.
The AU temp controlled mixer is so damn expensive because it includes a fance system to PREVENT any cold water backlow at the expense of available pressure.
They actually only work as long as the amount of cold water required to reach the set emp is lower than the amount of hot water used - once above they just provide cold water or reduce the flow rate badly.

Of course, back when I found all this out, I could not resist to do a test when I was due in my rental for a replacement of the failing hot water system.
Before the plumber came I added a second shut off valve on the hot water system, claiming the original one being unable to full shut off the supply.
In reality is was only to have it easy to add a pump for instead of the second valve.
Borrowed a pump for a tank system from mate refurbishing his caravan, had a nice automatic system to keep the pressure up that was adjustable.
So I set it to just above what goes into the hot water system.
And funny enough my now old and ugly looking automatic mixer worked flawless....

Turns out that not all problem we have to face in our homes are actually required.
Some or just based on saving money and sticking to long outdated standards....
Exploring the works of the old inventors, mixng them up with a modern touch.
To tinker and create means to be alive.
Bringing the long lost back means history comes alive again.
Orngrimm
Site Admin

Post by Orngrimm »

Question was answered? See viewtopic.php?f=3&t=42