Flashforge Inventor messing models up after firmware upgrade

FDM, STL, Printer-Hardware, mods, Materials, methods, slicers, ...
Orngrimm
Site Admin

Re: Flashforge Inventor messing models up after firmware upgrade

Post by Orngrimm »

It somehow sounds like certain GCODEs are interpreted differently on-board than before... Like a speedchange for the front legs wasnt understood with the new FW as the slowdown didnt happen anymore. Unfortunately, the extrusion-speed-changes were understood. Now the printer extrudes less but moves the same speed --> Underextrusion

I would check with FF to have it sliced by their recommended slicer for this firmware.
Builder of stuff, creator of things, inventor of many and master of none.
Tinkerer by heart, archer by choice and electronics engineer by trade.
Downunder35m

Re: Flashforge Inventore messing models up after firmware upgrade

Post by Downunder35m »

I am 3 firmwares up and stuck, can't find a Flashprint version to flash anything newer from older versions.
Have found one from I guess April this year that I will try next to bring the machine back one of this years firmwares.

I noticed another weird thing now that you say "differently".....
For the latest Flashprint they mention optimised and preconfigured retraction changes for their NEW printer model.
Considering the damn thing also makes use of EEPROM storage for some values, what are the chances that Flashprint at some point changes those values to what is used for the new printers?
These values on some firmwares can be made permanent so they woul be used over firmware default settings.
Now the big question: How to reset those values to the firmware defaults if there is no documented Gcode for it?

I have to assume or better hope that at least of the firmwares I jump through will to this ...
Finally got an invitation from the flashforge support to a Zoom meeting today to take a look at the proble while printing and to make sure my settings are up their specs.
Of course they Were not impressed when I had to tell them I am now on a really old firmware and reluctant to jump right to the latest.
And so it basically ended our call LOL

Hopefully by the weekend all is back to proper print results....
Exploring the works of the old inventors, mixng them up with a modern touch.
To tinker and create means to be alive.
Bringing the long lost back means history comes alive again.
Downunder35m

Post by Downunder35m »

Ok, back to square one :(
I am back to one of the last firmwares from last year and the machine already starts to play up again badly.
The retraction problem is not back yet but I think something in the parts that are not flashed or erased during these firmware flashes will drive me mad very soon.

I will upload some pics later to show what I try to explain in words:
I used the Gcode for a pump housing that I printed out perfectly a few weeks ago.
Was just to check how vertical holes would be printed without supports and how good the measurements were.
Somehow I thought the problems got fixed once the old firmwares showed such great results on my testpieces.
The newer ones though create more mess the further I update.
On the pump housing all loks next to perfect at 0.15mm layers, until the areas for the holes start.
Now it is basically printing the smal bit between the two holes and then the big bit for the other side of the housing.
I might dare to print it again with random start points but doubt it will improve the outcome.
The small bit between the holes is printed fine and the layers alternate as I do the infill combined every two layers.
Means that one layer the big part is first the next layer the small part is first in the print order.
There is a little imperfection in the surface finish for this area but that is nothing to what happens on the big side.
Way too much filament is extruded at the start and then gradually the extrusion seems to go down.
By the time it is at the other end the surface is almost acceptable.

Mind you that the exact same Gcode printed prefect before.
For this part no retraction was used to generate the code, no wiping and such either as I was drilling the holes out anyway.
But since the printer is messed up it seems that every time (on the newer firmwares) a line ands without a layer change the extrusion goes mental.
Or the speed/steps if you prefer...
Sure enough my 50% pug buddy came out with messy back legs as well.
Funny thing is though that on the pump housing I get over extrusion while on the pug I get under extusions, at least by the looks.
So I doubled checked by slicing the pug with the Flashprint version that corresponds to the firmware but still got the same bad outcome.

As a last resort I will now take thing apart and delete everything on the internal SD to install what Flashforge calls a recovery firmware.
It won't replace the actual firmware in the maiboard but is claimed to restore all values a user or Gcode might be able to mess up, or so they said in the Email....
Just odd that things that should not happen started to happen after updating the firmware and Flashprint.
What really drives me mental is the inconsistency.
Simple shapes as test objects print mostly fine despite this mess up.
But literally anything with a surface curved in more than one plane is already a struggle.
Parts resulting in islands being printed are next to impossible now.
Just getting angry at Flashforge and myself.
NEVER CHANGE A WELL WORKING SYSTEM!!!!
Downunder35m

Post by Downunder35m »

Ok, now I am about to give up trying to understand the logic of this machine :(

I decided to do one more test with the pug at different slicing settings for the layer height only.
In 0.05 and 0.1mm it came out with the usually deformations.
At 0.15mm if came out almost perfect, so I tried again with supports just to be sure and again it came out find and with prefect legs.
0.18mm and poor pug got a totally messed up chin, back legs and deforemed ears.
0.2mm and all is fine again.
0.25mm and the legs are back to being unacceptable, a bad chin and a perfect rest of the body.
Same conundrum with a small scale of the pump housing.
At some layer heights the section between the holes is perfect at other totally messed up.
This makes so sense at all anymore :(

The extrusion rate cant increase or decrease outside the given ratio when the layer height changes.
And no matter how messed up a retraction would be it could not affect and entire section of the print.
Taking a break now, then the printer apart to install this recovery firmware :(
Orngrimm
Site Admin

Post by Orngrimm »

onestly, i would slowly look into the option to replace the controler with something like a Marlin-capable board...
Downunder35m

Post by Downunder35m »

We are getting back into business :)

No clue yet what this recovery stuff did, only that the files look awfully similar to what Flashforge provides to solve the freezing on boot problem.
Anyway:
On the older firmware the recover gave me back a much more constent extrusion.
But main thing was that the unwanted retraction moves disappeared as well.
So I used the latest Flashprint and it stated right away that I need a firmware update.
Turned the printer off once the download started and replaced the downloaded file with the firmware from earlier this year.
Machine was updated with this file and for now I just ignore the nagging popup on start and won't upgrade to the latest firmware.

What changed?
For starters the speed fluctuations are now what they are supposed to be.
Meaning the printer only slows down if the actual Gcode says so.
If I set the area threshold to 200mm² it basically runs through all at max speed.
Set it to just 3mm² and it goes back to a crawl for all these fine and small things.
The retraction is back to normal behavior, meaning it only does what I want and nothing unplanned.
Temp for some reason is slightly off.
I printed the current roll of PLA at 200°C for small and fast layers, doing this now means it literally runs out almost liquid.
At slow speeds and a temp of just 145°C the PLA still provides proper layer adhesion and surface finish.
I certainly have to check if the temp readings are what they are or if they are with some offset now - but it works...

What has changed to indicate there is still bad values in some Eeprom?
My extrusion rate is way off the charts now.
During the single wall calibration I started with the 100% value and the measured 1.66mm I measured for the filament.
I stopped the print after the second layer as there wasn't enough coming out of the nozzle.
Setting it to 105% at least allowed me to get the walls up and to confirm they were 0.34mm thick - a bit shy of the set value of 0.48mm.
The usual formula of (current extrusion multiplier X set extrusion width) / measured extrusion width failed me for the first time.
I had to go to a whopping 147% to get the walls to match waht is set.
But after that even pug buddy came out very acceptable again.
I placed an extension to the SD card slot so I can have it outside the closed the printer.
Will falsh back and forth a few firmwares and use those reset files between them.
If that fails to get the multiplicator back in a normal range I guess I will just just accept to put in impossible values so the right amount of plastic comes out LOL
And yes, I checked the length going into the extruder - it is slightly off.
Extruding 5cm results in only 4.9 something millimeter going in - but the difference is not enough to justify going to over 140% to get a proper extrusion rate.
Have to check the Gcode again and see if I have same old and simple files to compare the etrusion setting with.

You idead of going with a new board isn't that bad.
But I still like to wait a while to make sure I won't toss a rather good one one and go through all the hassles just because I can't fix some Eeprom values....
Orngrimm
Site Admin

Post by Orngrimm »

The temp fluctuations and the indication that you have to run much cooler than normal (Heck, 145°C is WAY below what should be possible to press out PLA in a reasonable manner) i suspect your Temperature-sensor is a bit loose or no longer connected well with thermal grease or close to breaking.
Downunder35m

Post by Downunder35m »

Well, who would have thought.....
After about 15 firmware flashes with just a few firmwares I could get my hands on, the thing seems to be up to specs again :)
Extruder started grinding badly at one point and of course it was fixed by using my usual 200-205° for this roll of PLA.
No maore printing at freezing temps :)
The extrusion is almost 100% again as well, a few fluctuations here and there but within acceptable tolerances.

I am not sure if it was a hickup or if it was related to the messed up Eeprom settings, but last night the printer initially failed to boot after putting a new firmware in.
Display and lights came up but no Wifi and no response when tapping the display.
Was about to turn it off and start over when it rebooted and since then it SEEMS to be all fixed - finally....
My old Gcode models are still slightly off but I put this to the not fully matching extrusion rate in the files compared to the 102% I am at now.
seems I can finally print the last bits for my drawinging machine after all.
Would have been a total pain trying to get the threaded bits and small washers done with a printer that does what it likes and not what I want LOL

Guess I can now waste some time on trying to dissect and mount the firmware files or to unlock some features in Flashprint.
On a side note:
I realised that Flashforge is doing a rather good job with Flashprint.
Most of the features that Simplyify3D offers and then some are included.
On the other hand some things that other slicer struggle with anyway are not to be found anywhere.
Plus, I noticed that Flashprint actually has a few features hard to find together with the rest in any other slicer.
Here is some of the things I noticed once actually paying attention:
Infill options; line, triangular, honeycomb and 3D wave infill - the later is really nice for things that need to be light.
You might miss the classic rectangular infill but this is done by defining what infill angles and how many you want.
Works the same for other patterns.
Different speed and extrusion settings for the first layer and raft.
You even have individual setting for visible and invisible perimeters.
Variable slicing to allow for different layer heights throughout the model.
Split mode to cut a print job in sections with different print profiles used.
For the supports you can choose between standard and tree structures - and they are easier to remove than what Simplify3D creates.
And well, then literally every other setting you expect from a good slicer these days.
The only thing I am missing is a command window and the option to change values on the fly like in the good old days of Pronterface.
Just makes the whole calibration thing much easier and quicker.