Anyone like buliding cars/ hotrods/ ratrods?

Metal, Wood, ... the heavy stuff can be found here
liquidhandwash

Re: Anyone like buliding cars/ hotrods/ ratrods?

Post by liquidhandwash »

I just had to find a few more parts before the rebuild, and I finally found a conrod, a set of headers and a standard flywheel. I didn't want to use the lightened race flywheel that I got a few weeks ago, as it needs a race clutch and would make it difficult to drive on the street.
I've got a new ball hone, just waiting for the rings bearings and gasket to arrive from the US
Orngrimm
Site Admin

Post by Orngrimm »

... and once again i realise that the lingo of greasemonkeys is soooo different from other fields :)
Ah, i love you guys even thou i have not much clue, what exactly a ball hone is or why a race-clutch is needed for lightweight flywheels... :D
Builder of stuff, creator of things, inventor of many and master of none.
Tinkerer by heart, archer by choice and electronics engineer by trade.
Downunder35m

Post by Downunder35m »

Well who cares about such tiny details ? ;)
What matters is the story behind it and the progress to see happening - at least for me LOL
Nothing beats some good old tinker time o old cars and nice engines if you ask me.
Would still love to get my hands on a 60's bettle for a full restauration but they are getting rather rare around here now and even a total wreck costs more than ordering the entire thing in spare parts and panels ....
Exploring the works of the old inventors, mixng them up with a modern touch.
To tinker and create means to be alive.
Bringing the long lost back means history comes alive again.
liquidhandwash

Post by liquidhandwash »

Started rebuilding my engine as Ive finally got all the parts I need, Unfortunately one of the cylinders is quite badly water damaged, so Ihad to hone the hell out of it, and it still not great. I started assembly but did not get very far as the wrong rings were supplied so now Im waiting for that to get sorted. Im a bit disappointed as we have just gone into lockdown again, so I now have the time, but cant make a start until the rings get here.
Downunder35m

Post by Downunder35m »

I got soooo exited when I saw a new post from you in the list....
This lockdown start to take a real toll on things and people now :(

Might not help you but since I can be bothered with TV today....
In my young years I had some already old Honda XR 500, slightly modded but running well.
Until it started to show signs of weakness and struggling.
Back then the process was something not many people even knew is possible today.
My cylinder had severe damage due one of the 7 !! pistons rings cracked close to the open end.
The tine bit was too big to get out right away and at some stages got stuck causing really deep groves :(
I had neither the money for replacement block, nor the option to have a new sleeve put it.
The beast was aleady widened to create close to 520ccm³ LOL
Long story short:
A friend of mine new an old welder how sometimes did what we today knowas blow welding - depening on the country it has other names.
I guess the most videos can be found using spray welding in the search terms.
Surprisingly simple:
The parts is pre-heated.
In may case in a big lathe running slow and with a little blow torch.
While I was asked to do this very carefully without knowing what exactly I was doing the guy got his burner ready.
The guy then came with his "spray gun" and started to fill the cracks and area around with the molten metal powder.
Literally like airbrush, just very hot....
He could not machine the cylinder with the tolls he had but for a slab of beer he called a freind who finished the job the same day.

Different story if there is more than one cyclinder but in those cases we still have workshops with dedicated tools bring the welding area back to spec with the rest.
Might be worth asking around a bit while you have to wait for parts.
My Honda kept going with me for another 8000km until I sold it and I never got the buyer calling to say the engine failed....
Exploring the works of the old inventors, mixng them up with a modern touch.
To tinker and create means to be alive.
Bringing the long lost back means history comes alive again.